Live the History!
Our Gift Shop is now offering a book, with 405 pages and a name index, of local interest covering 1870 to 1905. Leah Rudy (photo right), a local resident, has spent many years researching the history of the "Columbiana County Pioneer Association." She writes, "This book is a history of Columbiana County as seen through the eyes of the pioneers. In 1870, it was brought to the attention of the sons and grandsons of the pioneers that they should form an Association to keep alive the history of the first settlers in the county."
Ms. Rudy continues, "So much history was being lost and would be forgotten if something wasn't done to save it. Such an organization was formed and it met once a year to bring to their memories how the wilderness was settled, and their interactions and experiences with the indigenous people. Old newspapers were saved, articles were written about the first physicians, lawyers, teachers, merchants and all forms of labor of that day."
She adds, "Many articles were written about how cabins, schools and churches were built. Trees had to be felled, and their cabins were raised. It was told that there were only two cabins between Steubenville and Lisbon early in 1800. Panthers, bears, wolves, rattlesnakes, etc. had to be killed to keep them from killing their sheep, cows, horses and even children. There was a bounty on some of the animals. Social and economic development and political endeavors were covered. They wrote about the beginning of the Sandy and Beaver Canal, the start of the railroads and of the county fairs. The names of individuals attending the meetings were written down, where they came from and when they came, along with their ages. These meetings were held until about 1905 when they slowly were dropped. The leaders of these meetings hoped to have all this information written in a book and published, but it was never accomplished until now."
The books will be available every Sunday at the Gift Shop between 1 pm and 3:30 pm or by appointment.
For more information, call the Museum at 330-337-8514.